Today I was thinking a lot about "the joy of the Lord is your strength" from Nehemiah 8:10. It was spoken to the people of Israel during their slow revival from exile, under the leadership of Nehemiah and Ezra. The walls of Jerusalem had been rebuilt and worship was being restored, so there was much to be happy about.
But when Ezra read aloud the Law to the people for the first time in around 70 years, there was weeping. There must have been an ocean of emotions - sorrow for all those who were still in exile or who had died, relief to finally be 'home', guilt at the reasons God had originally judged Israel, fear at where to from here.
Yet Nehemiah called for them to stop: "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve..." Have a party! Celebrate! This day is brilliant - kick up your heals! Why?
Joy = Strength.
I find it hard to enjoy my ministry at the moment. My head tells me it is good, but it is really really hard going. I do not know why. It feels like there are a million little things to do and I am lost for where to start. I wear a number of hats and right now none of them fit properly. The best way I could understand it was like trying to drive somewhere in second gear.
And into this struggle God gave me this verse. Instead of getting down and depressed, I resolved to be joyful! I have SO much to be thankful and happy about. Just look at this picture of Merryn and Rosie from their time with Loralie over in WA. Amazing!
My time is coming to an end at SU Qld and the excitement for our new adventure is growing. Tomorrow I will be making it public and I must admit I am nervous. But after such a wonderful time at SU Qld for nearly 10 years I am committed to finishing well, even if it is difficult.
Praise you Lord for all your blessings! You are awesome! Thank you for loving me, making me special and having a purpose for my life. What a sweet relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment